Tax Collectors, Zealots, and Flower Guys

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Morality: The Great Divider

There is a group of youth ministers that I know of and a house Church that I have been told about who smoke great amounts of weed on a regular basis. Now, I know the arguments: It is natural, we're in perfect control, blah da blah...
I have also heard about a Bible college student who argued that fondling his girlfriend was permissible and beneficial. I am not quite sure if I know all the arguments for that one, but I'm sure it had something to do with the fact that the Bible only condemns sex. (My answer to him would be, "The other day I blew a guy's arm off and beat him with it, but hey...the Bible only condemns murder.")
Then there are other people who claim much smaller moralities as a part of their regular, spiritual routine. They defiantly claim that communion must be taken every week in order to truly have the life of Christ in them, and this is far more than a routine for them. It is morality--right living. There are also those who state that homosexuality is a sin while others claim it is a natural part of existing for those who practice it. Christian friends of mine get drunk on a regular basis while others shake their head in disbelief at such an action.
There's no way around it. One of the main divisions in the Church today is morality. It hinders the process of unity almost as much as hymnals vs. projection. (perhaps that is dying down, but by golly I'll bet you we could find some Scriptural text to take out of context for each side!)
Could it be that morality is the downfall of unity even though Paul himself laid out distinct moral boundaries while also going to such great lengths in order to stress like-mindedness and being one in spirit?
My dad is a very good man, and he has personal guidelines for being a minister that he practices without question. There are all kinds of people who disagree with his philosophies on marriage, remarriage, leadership, and other issues. I don't care if people agree with Dad's philosophies or not, but personally I respect them. There are, however, people who have gone from friend to foe with my dad because of their differing opinions. All the while Dad tried to present his views as lovingly as possible. Greatest fans to greatest opponents. What are we to do about this? Morality is, indeed, the great divider. We are called to be one, but we are also called to be holy. How could the two ever coexist?
There is no formula. In fact, I am sure that as Jesus ascended into the clouds after his last words on earth, He whispered to himself, "Welp...here we go," knowing that the Church was going to twist and turn and split and explode. So many of the past and present divisions can be traced back to moral beliefs. However, I do not think that unity without morality has any place in the Kingdom of God, but I think unity only finds its beauty in disagreements. I'll say it again, I believe that unity only finds its beauty in disagreements and differing views. When we reach common ground morally, and learn to exist as one, beauty is found.
DISCLAIMER: I believe whole-heartedly that the Christian faith is not about whatever works for the individual:
"Yeah dude! Let's just exist as one. I'm going to snort crack off this urinal, and you take communion every week! UNITYYYYY! WOOO! SPRING BREAK! WOOOOHOO!!! See ya at Church."
I think there is absolute morality that we all must practice, and I truly do not know how to reach that without division. I do know, though, that if we can reach that and remain unified then we will see something more lovely than the purest sunrise or the most vivid flower. We'll see the wholeness of Christ.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:27 AM, Blogger Joe said…

    Great words, bro. Hope to see you sometime...somewhere. Blessings to you.

    Joe W.

     
  • At 2:16 PM, Blogger ashby said…

    Your father is truly a rare bird. I never doubt that, though we differ wildly on some issues of doctrine and morality, he is always only seeking the best and most loving way.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home